About the Unit
For over a century, Yara has worked to feed the world and protect the planet, and our mission is to do so in a responsible and sustainable way. Yara Farming Solutions will lead the transformation towards more sustainable and efficient food production through innovative approaches in digital farming and agricultural transparency that lead to the overall reduction of the carbon footprint of crop nutrition.
Over the past decade, the agriculture industry has witnessed a dramatic surge in investment towards the digitization of farming by large incumbents, tech multinationals, and innovative start-ups across the world. This development has caused the proliferation of data-based services aimed at improving farmers’ productivity and agricultural efficiency at large. However, to this date, no company has achieved the sufficient depth and breadth of information required to offer really transformative, field-specific services, and many challenges prohibit farm and field data sharing at scale. Overcoming these challenges requires a truly collaborative, industry-wide approach to data management.
In this context, Yara has issued a “call for action” to bring together institutions from across the world and jointly build an Open Farm and Field Data Exchange (from now on: “ODX” or “Platform”), modelled along the lines of similar data-sharing schemes that have emerged in other industries recently.
We are looking for a “Knowledge Engineer” to join our new Global ODX team. In this role you will be responsible for:
- Contribute to the knowledge organization of our innovation in agriculture.
- Evaluate graph structures and content.
- Develop new semantic representations, and work with providers and consumers of data to guide the development and usage of knowledge structures.
- Improve entity accessibility and enable automated reasoning.
- You will use a variety of semantic modelling techniques, judging trade-offs between formality and usability and deciding when to extend an existing ontology and when to develop new structures.
- You will also be establishing ETL processing rules and data processing workflows, working with linked data, mining for data internally and externally.
- Collaborate with the Product Management, Search, and Architecture teams to improve the search and semantic enrichment of our products through graph technology and data visualization methods.
- Solid experience in taxonomy or ontology development
- Prior Experience building and maintaining scalable enterprise knowledge graph systems
- Understanding of semantic standards Proficiency in using and developing semantic models.
- Experience developing data transformations and projections
- Technical proficiency with knowledge engineering tools like SQL, SPARQL, OWL, RDF
- Experience with systems integrations and can explore APIs, documentation, system logs, etc to come up with a solution.
- Strong analytical skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Appreciate that engineering is all about trade-offs and realize there is a time and place for streaming, batch, and offline.
- Exceptional technical documentation skills.
- Ability to work fluidly with domain experts to build and define an ontology and schema.
- Must-have attributes include hustle, grit, determination, courage, entrepreneurial ambition, and a deep desire to win.
Company: Yara Farming Solutions