12 October 2017, Horw, Switzerland: Toradex is excited to announce the launch of the new OV5640 5MP MIPI-CSI camera module. This is an add-on board for the Apalis family of system on modules (SoMs) compatible with the Ixora carrier board.
The CSI camera module uses an OmniVision OV5640 camera sensor with built-in autofocus. The OV5640 is a low-voltage, high-performance, 1/4-inch, 5-megapixel (2592×1944) CMOS image sensor.
Key features include:
- Support for video capture at up to 120 frames per second (FPS) at 320×240, 30 FPS at 1080p or 15 FPS in the full 5-megapixel resolution
- Direct connection to the MIPI Camera Serial Interface 2 (MIPI CSI-2) on Apalis carrier boards using a 24-way 0.5 mm pitch FFC cable
- No requirement for an external power supply
- Compatibility with Toradex Yocto Project-based Standard Linux
- Compatibility with Windows Embedded Compact (WinCE) 7 and 2013
- Compatibility with the complete Apalis family including NVIDIA T30, NVIDIA TK1, NXP i.MX 6 and the upcoming NXP i.MX 8-based modules
OV5640 5MP CSI camera module, front and back views
“The new camera module makes it easier for Toradex customers to prototype computer vision projects. Our Apalis computer modules are a proven platform for embedded vision applications. Technologies such as deep learning and frameworks like OpenCV, Tenserflow and Caffe are progressing quickly and enabling more and more possibilities in edge devices,” says Daniel Lang, Chief Marketing Officer for Toradex.
OV5640 5MP CSI camera module connected to the Ixora carrier board