New SoCs add 2GHz speeds, higher application integration and increased functional safety for entry- to mid-range systems
With the addition of six new system-on-chips (SoCs), the R-Car Gen3e series of Renesas Electronics Corporation now offers a scalable lineup for entry- to mid-range automotive applications requiring high-quality graphics rendering, such as integrated cockpit domain controllers, in-vehicle infotainment (IVI), digital instrument cluster, driver monitoring systems and LED matrix light.
The new devices increase the CPU performance up to 50k DMIPS and 2GHz speeds to help carmakers navigate demands for continuous user experience, security and safety improvements.
Key Features of the R-Car Gen3e SoCs: R-Car D3e, R-Car E3e, R-Car M3Ne, R-Car M3e, R-Car H3Ne, and R-Car H3e
- Increased CPU performance up to 2GHz for the R-Car M3Ne, R-Car M3e, and R-Car H3e devices
- On-chip real-time Arm Cortex R7 CPU to eliminate the need for an external vehicle controller combined with a Renesas PMIC, reducing overall BOM costs
- Reduced development times with reference solutions for fast boot, HMI and functional safety
- Board support packages updated with the latest versions of the Linux and Android operating systems
R-Car Gen3e Reference Solutions
- Pre-integrated software enables higher application integration, for example for 2D/3D cluster HMI, welcome animation, rear-view camera and surround-view applications
- VirtIO technology allows developers to easily add reference solutions to existing applications without changing the existing Linux or Android application
- Supports ASIL-B system safety requirements for applications such as telltale monitoring and camera freeze detection, as well as for true hardware separation in non-hypervisor cockpits
- The R-Car Consortium (RCC) partner ecosystem includes system integrators, middleware/application developers, and operating system and tools vendors, providing innovative solutions for the connected Car, ADAS, and gateway markets that enable customers to reduce development time and accelerate time to market for new products.
“With the growing popularity of applications such as augmented reality navigation and AI-based digital automotive assistants, OEMs and Tier 1s need to balance the skyrocketing demand for larger, higher-resolution displays and high-performance chips with rising BOM costs and longer development times, ” said Naoki Yoshida, Vice President Automotive Digital Products Marketing at Renesas. “The new R-Car Gen3e devices and reference solutions offer a seamless and cost-effective migration path, providing full compatibility and easy integration with Renesas’ current R-Car Gen3 SoCs to make it quicker and easier for customers to bring their automotive-grade applications to market.”
The R-Car Gen3e SoCs are available now in samples.