- Two new dual synchronous controllers from Renesas Electronics provide DC-DC conversion to power a vehicle’s ECU system and support high power levels
- The devices also offer energy conservation and include extensive electrical and temperature protection
The ISL78264 dual sync buck controller manages DC-DC conversion by stepping down the 12V battery system to 5V and 3.3V to power the vehicle’s electronic control unit (ECU), in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) and digital cockpit systems with 50W-200W power levels.
The ISL78263 dual sync boost and buck controller provides DC-DC conversion to support power levels of 25W-100W while providing a pre-boost when the battery voltage (VBAT) dips to as low as 2.1V during a cranking transient or a start/stop event.
Offers high efficiency
The ISL78264 dual sync buck controller and the ISL78263 dual sync boost and buck controller offer:
- energy-conserving, low quiescent current (Iq) of 6µA (typ) over a single buck channel.
- simplify power supply design by integrating FET drivers that can deliver 96 per cent peak efficiency and >10A output current.
- integrate feedback resistors and an external supply blocking diode for applications requiring cranking support, and programmable spread spectrum for addressing EMI interference challenges.
So, while tolerating a VBAT load dump reduces the additional cost and size of surge protection, supporting cranking transients lowers the amount of required input capacitance. Having built-in EMI mitigation, with a switching frequency up to 2.2 MHz, also reduces the cost and size of EMI filtering/shielding.
The ISL78264 and ISL78263 also include extensive protection for overvoltage (OV), undervoltage (UV), overcurrent, overtemperature, and a bootstrap supply undervoltage detection and refresh circuit to protect the high side MOSFET. Both controllers are AEC-Q100 Grade-1 qualified for ambient operation of -40 degrees Celsius to +125 degrees Celsius.
Key Features of the ISL78264
- Input voltage operation of 3.75V to 42V
- Buck1 Vout is fixed at 3.3V/5V or adjustable from 0.8V to 5V
- Buck2 Vout is adjustable from 0.8V to 32V
- Low Iq of 6µA (typ) over a single buck channel
- 25ns on-times for low duty-cycle operation, and 180° phase shift between channels
- Supports start-stop cranking transients down to 5.5V @ 2MHz without requiring pre-boost
Key Features of the ISL78263
- Input voltage operation from 2.1V to 42V
- Fixed buck at 3.3V/5V adjustable
- Keeps buck output in regulation through cold-crank transients down to 2.1V
- Boost frequency at 1x or 0.2x the buck frequency
- Drop-out mode (buck) for high duty-cycle operation
- 25ns on-times for low duty-cycle operation
“The ISL78264 and ISL78263 provide the ideal primary stage power regulation solutions for Renesas’ R-Car H3 and R-Car M3 SoCs, which are introducing the automotive industry to new electronic architectures that improve vehicle performance, efficiency, safety, and reliability,” said Niall Lyne, Vice President, Automotive Analog Power & Video Business Division at Renesas. “The controllers’ always-on operation and industry’s lowest quiescent current gives power system designers the extra margin they need to stay within their 100µA power budget, and can even manage tight budgets down to 50µA. The ISL78264 and ISL78263 integrate strong MOSFET drivers that deliver higher efficiency and power compared to other automotive buck or boost VBAT controller solutions.”
Mass production quantities of the ISL78264 dual synchronous buck controller and ISL78263 dual synchronous boost and buck controller are available now in 5mm x 5mm, 32-lead wettable flank QFN packages.