- Maxim Integrated’s USB-C power delivery meets the growing power needs and facilitates faster adoption
- At the same time, the solution size is reduced in half with support wide voltage range
To overcome the challenges associated with implementing USB-C Power Delivery (PD), Maxim Integrated has now introduced the MAX77958 USB-C PD controller and the MAX77962 28W buck-boost charger. With the MAX77958 USB-C PD controller, designers can now cut development time by three months, while also reducing the solution size in half with the MAX77962 buck-boost charger.
While USB-C PD systems can meet the demands of next-generation portable consumer, industrial and medical electronics, compliance with these USB-C specifications requires multiple components and custom firmware that can take several months to develop. The MAX77958 standalone USB-C PD controller saves three months of design, development and testing time with an out-of-the-box USB-C PD 3.0 compliant solution with Fast Role Swap and Dual Role Port (DRP) support. The solution includes unique features such as BC1.2 detection and integrated D+/D- switch for legacy USB port support. To enable robust designs, the IC features
- 28V VBUS rating
- CC pin short protection
- moisture detection
- corrosion prevention
New USB-C PD systems enable rapid charging of 2S Li+ batteries using an input voltage of 5V to 20V. The MAX77962 integrates high-voltage FETs (30V absolute maximum voltage) capable of delivering 28W of charging power (in half the size of other 28W solutions). This buck-boost charger accepts an input voltage range from 3.5V to 23V, supporting USB-C PD as well as legacy USB sources.
The MAX77962 buck-boost charger and MAX77958 USB-C PD controller are suitable for applications such as game players, augmented reality/virtual reality (AR/VR) devices, cameras, wireless speakers, portable printers and handheld computers, as well as industrial equipment and medical devices.
- Faster Development Time: Out-of-the-box USB-C PD compliance cuts development time; MAX77958 PD controller eliminates three months of firmware development with a GUI-driven customization script, BC1.2 support, Fast Role Swap, DRP mode and integrated D+/D- switch.
- Robust Design: MAX77958 USB-C PD controller features a 28V VBUS rating, integrated protection against shorting the USB-C Configuration Channel (CC) pins, moisture detection and corrosion prevention to enable robust designs.
- Smaller Size: MAX77962 buck-boost charger integrates all power FETs to reduce solution size by 50 per cent.
- Wide Voltage Range: MAX77962 buck-boost charger offers a wide input voltage range of 3.5V to 23V supporting USB-C PD; Enables 28W rapid charging of 2S Li+ batteries.
“Rapid battery charging for USB-C devices will alter the consumer electronics landscape,” said Bakul Damle, business management director, Mobile Power Business Unit at Maxim Integrated. “The MAX77958 and MAX77962 can help speed these new capabilities to market by helping developers adopt the new USB-C PD standard. Maxim Integrated has done the work of integrating important features and getting USB-C PD 3.0 compliance to shorten our customers’ development time by several months. Customers can accelerate their development using our combined MAX77958 USB-C PD controller and MAX77962 28W buck-boost charger evaluation kit.”
“Consumer electronics will require more power for features like 5G and 4K video, and the appeal of faster charging will only increase,” said Nina Rao, analyst at Omdia. “The USB-C PD standard is remaking the charging landscape with the number of devices capable of USB-C PD expected to almost quadruple from 951 million in 2020 to 4.6 billion by 2024. However, new technologies require new solutions to speed market adoption.”
Samples of MAX77958 and MAX77962 are available at Maxim’s website and also available from authorised distributors.
The MAX77958EVKIT-2S3# USB-C PD controller with 28W 2-cell Li-ion charger evaluation kit, and the MAX77962EVKIT-06# and MAX77962EVKIT-12# 28W 2-cell Li-ion charger evaluation kits are also available.