Job Description Summary
Systems engineering is a cross-functional engineering discipline centered on an approach, mindset, and process. All activities that consider both the business and the technical needs of the customers with the goal of providing a quality product that meets the users needs. The discipline that executes a robust process of design, creation, and optimization of systems, consisting of identification and quantification of system requirements, creation of alternate system design concepts, performance of design trade studies, selection and implementation of the best designs and verification that the design is properly integrated and executed. Process that proceeds from concept to production to operation.
Impacts departmental operations and responsible for planning/execution. The role has some autonomy but is focused on execution of activities within an operating discipline covered by standard functional practices and procedures. Some judgment may be required but this is typically with guidance.
Roles and Responsibilities
- To deliver the platform for the GE HVDC Control System, the candidate will work in a team to bring together the complex and technically advanced systems incorporating hardware and software systems. The primary focus for the role is on developing and maintaining the Platform Software for Real Time control system including system architecture and device drivers targeted at embedded systems.
- Design, develop, implement and also maintain Platform Software requirements
- Platform Software design and development on RTOS/ DSP Bare Metal.
- Design and develop Platform Embedded SW modules.
- Board Bring-up involving the Embedded processors or DSPs.
- Integrate software packages with existing systems and sub-systems.
- Prepare unit test and regression test specification, packages and templates.
- Interact with a multi-discipline engineering team to meet the project requirements.
- Unit, Module and Integration testing of the software developed at various stages.
- Prepare formal and informal engineering documentation.
- Implement software QA activities, incl. Code, Milestone and Release reviews.
- Diploma or Degree in Electrical/ Electronics or Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 4 to 6 years’ relevant experience
- Very good command in written and communication in English
- Proficient in Real-Time Embedded Software Engineering in C/C++ on any embedded processor/DSP/Microcontroller and RTOS.
- Proven Experience in writing Device Drivers for various peripherals on embedded processor boards in C/C++ or ASM.
- Proficient in Debugging the low-level source code/ assembly code on the Microprocessors/ DSP/ Microcontrollers using In Circuit Emulators (ICE) and other suitable methods.
- Sound knowledge of Processors, DSPs (preferably from Analog Devices or TI) and
- Microcontrollers (preferably ARM cores on Intel or Freescale chips).
- Expert in Real Time System Concepts involving RTOS, DSP and any Embedded processors.
- Experience in using MATLAB/Simulink for Target Layer independence.
- Experience in all phases of the product engineering and development cycle.
- Requirement and change management.
- Knowledge of HVDC/FACTS / High Voltage substations will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of Matlab /Python