Plans, designs, and develops electronic systems, circuits, components, integrated circuitry, mechanical systems, equipment and packaging, optical systems, and/or DSP systems. Conducts simulations and analyses of designs. Develops emulation solutions. Evaluates, characterizes, and develops the manufacturing solution for leading-edge products in the most advanced processes. Interfaces with various cross-functional teams (e.g. Designers, Software/System Engineering, Architecture Development, Business Groups, Customers, Customer Engineering) to drive and incorporate the latest test solutions in the production program to improve the yield, test time, and quality. Evaluates reliability of materials, properties, and techniques used in production.
The responsibilities of this role include
• Working independently with little supervision.
• Making decisions that are moderate in impact; errors may have financial impact or effect on projects, operations, or customer relationships; errors may require involvement beyond immediate work group to correct.
• Using verbal and written communication skills to convey complex and/or detailed information to multiple individuals/audiences with differing knowledge levels. May require strong negotiation and influence, communication to large groups or high-level constituents.
- Having a moderate amount of influence over key organizational decisions (e.g., is consulted by senior leadership to provide input on key decisions).
- Completing tasks that do not have defined steps; simultaneous use of multiple mental abilities is generally required to determine the best approach; mistakes may result in significant rework.
- Exercising substantial creativity to innovate new processes, procedures, or work products within guidelines or to achieve established objectives.
- Using deductive and inductive problem solving; multiple approaches may be taken/necessary to solve the problem; often information is missing or conflicting; advanced data analysis and interpretation skills are required.
- Occasionally participates in strategic planning within own area affecting immediate operations.
The responsibilities of this role do not include
Financial accountability (e.g., does not involve budgeting responsibility).
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops complex features and components of hardware designs in line with proposals or roadmaps for complex products; advises less experienced engineers working together on common testing and design tasks.
- Applies advanced design rules and processes for electronic hardware, equipment, and/or integrated circuitry independently; has a basic understanding of other domains.
- Reads device specification sheets and interprets complex details required to design various hardware features; provides guidance to less experienced engineers working with spec sheets.
- Identifies advanced ways to optimize tests and/or hardware designs by evaluating device performance over a wide range of operating conditions and configurations.
- Evaluates complex design features to identify potential flaws (electrical, mechanical, hardware), compatibility issues, and/or compliance issues; advises less experienced engineers on design evaluations.
- Documents complex details about materials, components, chipsets, and functionality for a device while being mindful of potential compatibility, safety, and compliance issues; assists less experienced engineers in their documentation of these details.
- Troubleshoots advanced issues with product designs and finds solutions that are documented and shared with internal teams working on similar products.
- Provides essential technical input, support, and documentation for internal customers; advises less experienced engineers on how to provide support for clients.
- Acts as a tech lead on mid-sized to large projects and owns the outcome of the project.
- Manages project-related activities (e.g., meetings, documentation, deliverables) between their team and other teams working on the same or similar products, operating across locations and time zones; brings the project to conclusion.
- Utilizes deep understanding of Qualcomm products to evaluate and test hardware designs and identify unique components or functions that could potentially be filed for IP patents; shares these findings with their manager.
- Displays deep knowledge in a specific area; acquires advanced knowledge of industry trends, competitor products, and advances in various engineering fields from publically available information; shares knowledge with others on team and helps less experienced engineers understand and apply advanced concepts.
- Conducts specialized analyses (e.g., feasibility studies, signal integrity, power integrity, teardown analyses) and reviews analyses conducted; provides guidance and feedback to junior engineers in the execution and interpretation of these analyses. Additional responsibilities may also include: Develops design implementation, analysis, methodology, flows, and automation for development and validation of System on Chip, electronic parts, components, integrated circuitry, and packaging. Provides design solutions to evaluate, characterize and develop the design implementation solution for leading-edge products in the most advanced processes. Interfaces with various cross functional teams (RF, Analog and Digital IC designers, Software, System Engineering, Test Engineers, Customer Engineering, and Operations) to drive and incorporate the latest design solutions in the production program to improve yield, productivity, and quality.
- Frequently transports between offices, buildings, and campuses up to ½ mile.
- Frequently transports and installs equipment up to 5 lbs.
- Performs required tasks at various heights (e.g., standing or sitting).
- Monitors and utilizes computers and test equipment for more than 6 hours a day.
- Continuous communication which includes the comprehension of information with colleagues, customers, and vendors both in person and remotely.
Bachelors – Computer Science, Bachelors – Engineering, Bachelors – Information Systems
5+ years Hardware Engineering experience or related work experience.
Masters – Computer Science, Masters – Engineering, Masters – Information Systems
1+ years in a technical leadership role with or without direct reports. ,2+ years experience with hardware design and measurement instruments such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, RF tools, etc. ,2+ years experience utilizing schematic capture and circuit simulation software. ,2+ years experience with circuit design (e.g., digital, analog, RF). ,8+ years Hardware Engineering experience or related work experience.
Computer Science, DSP Architectures, Electrical Engineering, Optical Systems, Packaging Systems