Microsoft Silicon, Cloud Hardware Infrastructure Engineering (SCHIE) is the team behind Microsoft’s expanding Cloud Infrastructure and responsible for powering Microsoft’s “Intelligent Cloud” mission. CHIE delivers the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft’s over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Teams, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform globally with our server and data center infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability solutions. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering trusted experiences to customers and partners worldwide and we are looking for passionate, high-energy engineers to help achieve that mission. As Microsoft’s cloud business continues to grow the ability to deploy new offerings and HW infrastructure on time, in high volume with high quality and lowest cost is of paramount importance. We are looking for seasoned engineers with a strong passion for customer focused solutions, insight, and industry knowledge to envision and implement future technical solutions that will manage and optimize the Cloud infrastructure.
Central to our mission is development of Storage Systems for Azure Datacenters based on our highly programmable data processing chip (DPU). As a FPGA designer, you will be responsible for the design (and also verification) of CPLD/ FPGA that shall be used in the system interfacing with the DPU and all other subsystems.
- Researches and identifies new tools, technologies, or methods for project implementation to improve product quality, performance, and reliability.
- Provides make-versus-buy recommendations to management with tradeoffs based on complexity, financial impact, quality, reliability, and time duration. Influences decision making with wider decision makers and stakeholders.
- Displays deep knowledge in a specific and complex engineering domain, or knowledge in multiple technical areas. Shares and acquires advanced knowledge of industry trends, competitor products, the customer experience, and advances in various engineering fields.
- Creates robust, scalable, and extensible complex, or multiple complex designs and/or verification plans.
- Participates in creating intellectual property and technical due diligence. May file patents within own area of scope and completing necessary patent documentation.
- Develops and implements technical solutions to complex quality and design challenges and applies lessons learned to recommend future focused solutions.
- Cross checks the architecture of the silicon chip by looking for potential flaws in the architecture.
- Uses performance instrumentation and presents results and insights to team and architects. Writes performance simulators and creates spreadsheets to derive microarchitecture trade-offs. Evaluates impact of software optimizations.
- Generates a sub task or single project implementation schedule, monitors performance against schedules, and helps determine resource dependencies for the hardware engineering aspects of complex features or products. Guides other engineers team members in performance and schedule implementation.
- Provides feedback on the existing engineering process and recommends changes.
- Reviews third party intellectual property data sheets against requirements. Evaluates external supplier or partner quality and resources in order to ensure successful execution.
- Guides their team’s review of external supplier or partner products and participates in making external supplier or partner selection decisions to support product development.
- Identifies the most significant project risks (e.g., external supplier or partner delays, incomplete specs, or tool issues) at the outset of a project, and develops plans to address those risks. Incorporates learnings from previous projects.
- Communicates project progress/status within and external to the project team (e.g., to customers and partners) and escalates issues as necessary.
Reporting and Documentation
- Develops and reviews drafted training materials, documents, and templates. Identifies where training is beneficial and coordinates training.
- Writes device specification sheets; specifies and interprets complex details required to design various hardware features.
- 7+ years of related technical engineering experience
- OR Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field AND 4+ years technical engineering experience or internship experience
- OR Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field AND 3+ years technical engineering experience or internship experience
- OR Doctorate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications:
- 11+ years technical engineering experience
- OR Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field AND 8+ years technical engineering experience
- OR Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field AND 6+ years technical engineering experience
- OR Doctorate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field AND 3+ years technical engineering experience.