With the state of Karnataka now hit by examination fever, the student population and their parents would naturally face anxiety with respect to the future and in taking key studies-related decisions. Now, one key examination that students in the state are facing is the II PUC/12th standard exams which are generally considered key turning points as far as acquiring a professional academic degree, including engineering, is concerned.
The first-step that students generally take, to secure admission to any engineering college, is to obtain a list of these. Here, it becomes natural for students to check out the best and top-rated engineering colleges that have a good track record of all the key elements viz. faculty, coaching, and placements. However, in today’s competitive world where numerous engineering colleges are springing up like mushrooms, it is a herculean task to determine which are the best ones.
Therefore, we did a survey and spoke to numerous fresh engineers, students who joined their first-year engineering course recently, and career counsellors; who offered valuable insights on the best engineering colleges in Karnataka:
Karnataka – Land of Sir M Visveswaraiah; an iconic engineer of modern times
It is a known fact that budding engineers from across India land up in Karnataka to pursue engineering. At this juncture, it is worth remembering that more than 85% of the engineering colleges in the state are affiliated to the Visveswaraya Technological University (VTU) that is names after the legendary Bharat Ratna Sir M Visveswaraiah whose name is associated with the popular Krishna Raja Sagar (KRS) dam, and various offerings that are today serving as a boon to the state.
Now, having said that, it still potentially is a minor challenge among budding engineers to determine the best and not just fall by the wayside.
Follow traditions; it doesn’t hurt
“Always check the history of any particular institute, things like their placement cell, track records of job placements, companies associated with campus placements, and the most important aspect is the professional experience that heads of departments possess”, states a reputed career counsellor on the condition of anonymity having decades of experience in guiding students towards professional courses.
“Don’t be confused by the numerous colleges that are displayed while you attend your counselling sessions. Get details of all the top colleges in the state, and research on their placement activities and the experience level of faculties even before you attend counselling”, stated Amar (name changed) a recent graduate in the Computer Science and Engineering stream. Amar also publishes blogs focussed on guiding students towards the right college.
Here goes the list: Follow the leaders
National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal – As per our research, more than 90% of engineering students rated NIT Surathkal as the most preferred choice. In fact, even tradition seconds this.
An engineering degree obtained from the NIT is considered prestigious and equivalent to having studied in one of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) institutes. It is worth noting that an IIT in Karnataka is yet to come up.
- Location – Surathkal, on the outskirts of Mangalore.
- Joining essentials: To get into the NIT, your qualifying examination can be II PUC/12th standard with a JEE score.
- USP (As per our survey respondents): Overall coaching, laboratories, emphasis on practicals, placements, and job skills training
University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering, Bangalore – Established by Sir MV himself, this college, also known as UVCE is a constituent college of Bangalore University.
- Location: At the heart of Bangalore city.
- Joining essentials: The Common Entrance Test (CET) conducted by the state of Karnataka, along with clearing a custom entrance test conducted by the college.
- USP (As per our survey respondents): Job skills training, emphasis on practical knowledge, overall faculty experience level.
RV College of Engineering (RVCE), Bangalore: Our survey respondents preferred RVCE due to the on-campus environment.
- Location: Mysore Road, Bangalore.
- Joining Essentials: Common Entrance Test conducted by the state (K-CET), or a valid COMEDK rank.
- USP: The electronics engineering department received a big thumbs-up from our respondents. Placements was the next factor, so was the overall coaching.