Dive into the world of GaNSafe, offering accelerated charging, robust protection, and more. Explore the 650/800 V high-power portfolio, discover its cutting-edge features, and witness the future of power electronics design.
Navitas Semiconductor has unveiled GaNSafe, a wide bandgap power platform leveraging their refined 4th-generation gallium nitride technology, to excel in rigorous, high-power scenarios in data centres, solar and energy storage solutions, and the electric vehicle (EV) industry. In these sectors, where efficiency, power density, and unwavering reliability are paramount, GaNSafe is the ultimate solution.
Produced in Hsinchu these ICs incorporate gallium nitride (GaN) power and drive components along with control, sensing, and protection mechanisms. This integration results in accelerated charging speeds, heightened power density, and substantial energy conservation benefits. This platform has been designed to feature application-specific protection functions and high-power packaging. These enhancements enable performance even in the most challenging conditions, characterised by extreme temperatures and extended operating durations.
The inaugural 650/800 V high-power portfolio encompasses a spectrum of RDS(ON) values ranging from 35 to 98 mΩ. These components come encased in a durable surface-mount TOLL package, known for its efficient heat dissipation, catering to many applications spanning 1,000 to 22,000 W. The integrated features and functions comprise:
- The system offers reliable 2 MHz high-speed switching for optimal power density. It features secure and regulated integrated gate-drive control and zero gate-source loop inductance for improved reliability.
- Rapid short-circuit protection is a highlight, as the system autonomously “detects and protects” within a mere 50 ns – surpassing competing discrete solutions by a factor of 4 in speed.
- The system provides robust electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection at 2 kV.
- With a continuous voltage rating of 650 V and the ability to handle transient voltages of 800 V, this system is engineered to endure even the most extreme application conditions.
- This user-friendly, all-inclusive, high-power, high-reliability, high-performance power IC streamlines the design process for customers with its minimal 4-pin configuration, facilitating faster development..
- Including programmable turn-on and turn-off speeds (dV/dt) simplifies compliance with EMI regulatory requirements, making the process more straightforward.
In contrast to discrete GaN transistor designs that often suffer from voltage spikes, undershoot, and specification violations, this system offers an efficient, predictable, and dependable solution. Its robust 4-pin TOLL package complies with the rigorous IPC-9701 mechanical reliability standard, ensuring straightforward, sturdy, and reliable performance. This contrasts multi-chip modules that demand three times as many connections and exhibit inferior cooling capabilities. These centres offer efficient platform designs, accelerating customer revenue and increasing first-time design success. They provide comprehensive design resources, including tested hardware, software, schematics, and simulations.
“Our pioneering GaNFast and GaNSense technologies have redefined mobile charging and led the GaN adoption wave. Our devices set a new industry standard for protection, reliability, and security. We’re now expanding into 1-22 kW power systems for artificial intelligence (AI) -based data centres, EVs, solar, and energy storage, enabling GaN’s full potential in these billion-dollar markets demanding peak efficiency and reliability,” said Gene Sheridan, CEO and co-founder. These power ICs represent the next-gen of power semiconductors, offering easy access, high performance, and exceptional reliability for power electronics designers.