- Microchip Technology’s new, highest-density EEPROM provides developers with higher memory size and ability to perform single-byte, multi-byte and full-page writes
- The development adds to the company’s memory product family which includes serial EEPROMs, NOR Flash, SRAM and EERAM
Portable consumer and medical devices as well as industrial, automotive and other systems often use customer-specific data sets such as calibration constants, background conditions, user preferences and changing noise environments to provide optimized consumer experience. Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory (EEPROM provides nonvolatility, byte-level control, ease-of-use and low-power consumption.
Now, Microchip Technology has launched a new, highest-density EEPROM – the 25CSM04 that claims to be the the largest EEPROM available to developers at 4 Mbit. Till now, developers had been using lower-cost NOR Flash integrated circuits (ICs) for any 2 Mbit+ nonvolatile data set application. EEPROM offers performance advantages over NOR Flash, including:
- Low standby current (2 µA vs. 15 µA)
- Ability to perform single-byte, multi-byte and full-page writes
- Shorter erase/rewrite times (5ms vs.300ms)
- More erase/rewrite cycles (1M vs 100K).
The 25CSM04 is built around built around the company’s 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit microcontrollers and microprocessors, thus becoming part of an extensive nonvolatile memory product family, which includes serial EEPROMs, NOR Flash, SRAM and EERAM in all standard serial buses and all standard densities from 128-bit to 64 Mbit.
The 25CSM04 4 Mbit serial EEPROM devices are supported by the MPLAB Starter Kit for Serial Memory Products. The kit includes a serial memory interface board, serial EEPROM starter pack, USB cable, MPLAB X Integrated Development Environment (IDE), Total Endurance™ software model and a serial EEPROM interface tool.
“Pushing the top end of what is possible with serial EEPROM supports product innovation,” said Randy Drwinga, vice president of Microchip’s memory products division. “Designers can now reevaluate their systems and leverage this new technology to optimize design performance.”
The 25CSM04 family of memory devices is available in three package options from authorized worldwide distributor or visit Microchip’s website.