- COSEL’s new product offering of DC-DC converters allows electronics designers to apply large input voltages for medical and industrial applications
- The converter series can withstand vibrations and meets several industrial approvals
COSEL has launched a new series of high isolation 3W DC-DC converters for medical and industrial applications. The COSEL MH3 series has reinforced isolation of 3kVAC, 4.2KVDC. Its transformer is designed to sustain differential voltage that might happen in industrial applications.
For medical applications, the MH3 series complies with the 2xMOOP (250VAC) (Means Of Operator Protection) isolation requirement, as specified in the IEC60601-1.
To reduce inventory while enabling easy installation and maintenance of equipment, system designers require a DC-DC converter be able to accept a large range of input voltages. The COSEL MH3 series helps achieve this by making available three wide-input range voltage:
⦁ 4.5V to 18V covering 12V battery applications
⦁ 9V to 36V combining 12V and 24V battery systems
⦁ 18V to 76V addressing 24V and 48V systems.
The MH3 series is available in five single outputs: 3.3V, 5V, 9V, 12V and 15V (MHFS3), and two dual outputs +/-12V and +/-15V (MHFW3). Output can be used in series, delivering 24V or 30V. Single output voltage MHFS3 can be adjusted by using the Vout Trim pin on the secondary side.
The MH3 series has:
- Built-in overcurrent protection circuit, with automatic recovery.
- Remote control pin operating as negative logic (L:ON, H:OFF).
- Operational temperature range of -40 degrees Celsius to +85 degrees Celsius, 20 – 95 % RH (Non condensing). Depending on cooling, a power derating may apply to not exceed +105 degrees Celsius at a specified measuring point.
- Low isolation capacity for reduced transfer noise, reaching a maximum of 20 pF, which is beneficial when powering motor control systems.
Industrial and some medical equipment can be subject to vibrations, creating possible damages on the pins of SIP products. COSEL MH3 series pins have been moulded in an epoxy holder that strengthens the connections between the application PCB and the module, making the unit reliable for use in demanding applications.
The MH3 series has qualified on vibrations testing such as:
- 10 – 55Hz 98.0m/s2 (10G), 3minute period, 60minutes each along X, Y and Z axis and shock
- 490.3m/s2 (50G) 11ms, once each along X, Y and Z axis.
To reduce the board space, the MH3 series is housed in a SIP8 packaging, measuring 22.0 x 12.0 x 9.5mm (0.87 x 0.48 x 0.38 inches) and weighing maximum 7 grams.
Addressing both medical and industrial applications, the MH3 series has received several agency approvals: UL62368-1, EN62368-1, c-UL (equivalent to CAN/CSA-C22.2 No.62368-1), ANSI/AAMI ES60601-1, EN60601-1 3rd, c-UL (equivalent to CAN/CSA-C22.2 No.60601-1). The power supply complies with the RoHS directive and is CE marked under the Low Voltage Directive.