- Synaptics SYN4778 is a low-power, compact Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) IC, it provides a unique combination of short-range wireless and GNSS capabilities for IoT devices.
Synaptics SYN4778 is one of the lowest power, compact and highly accurate global navigation satellite system (GNSS) IC for IoT devices. The SYN4778 offers up to 80% reduction in power consumption while having up to 50% higher accuracy in a 30% smaller package when compared to most other GNSS ICs available today. The small size of GNSS IC enables designers to employ highly accurate location-based services (LBSs) for smaller IoT devices such as wearables and asset trackers. When compared to most of the existing solutions the SYN4778 will enable designers to build LBS equipment with higher battery life, while also having a smaller product size, and enhanced performance. The SYN4778 is suitable for IoT devices such as wearables, as well as mobile accessories, asset tagging and tracking systems, drones, transportation navigation, etc.
“Synaptics provides a unique combination of short-range wireless and GNSS capabilities — making us a one-stop shop for high-performance IoT,” said Brandon Bae, Sr. Director of Product Marketing at Synaptics. “With the SYN4778, we’re now able to add more location-based functionality as a significant differentiator for handheld and wearable IoT device developers who can now also couple GPS with complementary localization features such as Bluetooth’s High Accuracy Distance Measurement (HADM). The market response has been overwhelmingly positive, and we already have design wins with key customers.”
- Features of SYN4778:
- Advanced multipath interference mitigation using L5 band signals from GPS, Galileo, BeiDou, NAVIC, SBAS, and Quasi-Zenith Satellite Systems (QZSS)
- LTE jamming and signal filtering, and continuous—highly parallel—search and track of the complete GNSS channels (including the L5 band) for greater positioning accuracy for LBS applications, particularly in urban environments
- Support for multiple operating systems (such as Android, Linux, and FreeRTOS) and third-party software to enable a broader range of application-optimized IoT devices
- Low-noise, high-linearity RF front end makes an external LNA and second SAW filter optional to reduce BOM and increase layout flexibility
- Measures 2.4 x 2.7 mm (40-ball FCBGA package).
- 50% improvement in accuracy achieved in the deep urban city environment.
Low-power GNSS chips are essential for realising a wide range of IoT products where battery life is important. Many IoT applications also have size constraints, and the small size of IC makes it suitable for space-constrained application that requires high performance to accommodate advanced services. Thus, SYN4778 from Synaptics can enable engineers to add precise location and tracking capability without requiring too much space and power.