- Advertisement -
The Job is closed. Check the latest active jobs here.
- This product focused position tailors electronic systems for Cummins products. People in these positions will configure (tune), integrate, test, and release software, electronic control units, tools, sensors, actuators, and harnesses into an electronic system that controls the operation of Cummins’ products in a variety of customer applications.
- Investigates electronic application and systems problems, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results with guidance from more experienced team members.
- Applies and supports the improvement of electronic application and systems development processes and tools. Processes include system specification, modeling and simulation, calibration, Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R), and troubleshooting. Tools include Simulink, calibration tools, and PTC Integrity.
- Obtains input and negotiates with product and software development teams and delivers control system designs, verified and calibrated software features and builds to product teams.
- Makes decisions in the areas of electronic system design, requirements, calibration, and test that impact the quality and performance of individual calibrated features and/or components.
- Owns problem resolution for moderately complex components, products, systems, subsystems or services with a greater degree of technical complexity and ambiguity over the entry level engineer level and with greater accountability to the project team.
- Provides independent execution of established work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge; engages with the improvement of systems and processes.
- Involves minimal direct management of people, but could involve the coordination and direction of work amongst technicians and/or temporary student employees.
- Contributes effectively toward team goals, exhibits influence within a work group and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
- Design and Application of Mechatronics Systems – Specifies electronic hardware and interconnections that measure and control systems; applies electronic hardware and interconnections in Cummins’ products.
- Machine Integration and Optimization – Combines various parts or sub-systems into a whole to achieve the output most desired by the customer; applies Cummins’ installation requirements using our standard tools, processes and identified best practices to ensure optimization of performance, reliability, cost and quality; analyzes technical issues using proven problem-solving and troubleshooting techniques for rapid resolution.
- Product Failure Mode Avoidance – Mitigates potential product failure modes, by identifying interfaces, functions, functional requirements, interactions, control factors, noise factors, and prioritized potential failure modes and potential failure causes for the system of interest to effectively and efficiently improve the reliability of Cummins’ products.
- Product Function Modeling, Simulation and Analysis – Impacts product design decisions through the utilization and/or interpretation of computational tools and methods that predict the capability of a product’s function relative to its system, sub-system and/or component level requirements.
- Product Problem Solving – Solves product problems using a process that protects the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; and identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem reoccurrence.
- Product Verification and Validation Management – Develops product systems validation plans from a variety of inputs to identify failure modes, while managing product risk and relative priority; negotiates product requirements against capability to guide project scope; evaluates analytical, simulation and physical test results to verify product capability and validate requirements; assesses legacy versus proposed system solution capabilities and produces recommendations with technical documentation to support product decisions.
- System Requirements Engineering – Uses appropriate methods and tools to translate stakeholder needs into verifiable requirements to which designs are developed; establishes acceptance criteria for the system of interest through analysis, allocation and negotiation; tracks the status of requirements throughout the system lifecycle; assesses the impact of changes to system requirements on project scope, schedule, and resources; creates and maintains information linkages to related artifacts.
- Systems Thinking – Defines the system of interest by drawing the boundaries, identifying its context within its environment, its interfaces, and that it has a lifecycle to aid in planning the problem statement, scope and deliverables ; analyzes linkages and interactions between elements that comprise the system of interest by using appropriate methods, models and integration of outcomes to understand the system, predict its behavior and devise modifications to it in order to produce the desired effects.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Communicates effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Decision quality – Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Drives results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
- College, university, or equivalent Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or appropriate STEM field is required.
- Post-graduate (Master’s) degree relevant to this discipline area may be required for select roles.
- This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
- Prior entry level engineering equivalent work experience in a relevant discipline area is required. Knowledge of MS Office tools is preferred
- MATLAB Knowledge is must