- OV50H is a 50MP image sensor that supports 12.5MP at 120 frames per second (fps) and high dynamic range (HDR) at 60 fps.
- The image sensor will enable an average user to take noise-free, high-quality pictures even in low-light environments.
Omnivision has announced the release of OV50H, a 50MP image sensor for high-end smartphones. The image sensor will enable an average user to take noise-free, high-quality pictures even in low-light environments. The OV50H is a 1.2‑micron pixel image sensor in a 1/1.3‑inch optical format. The larger sensor size enables it to capture sharp images and allows for faster autofocusing capability even in dark environments. The image sensor supports multiple HDR modes and high frame rates for smartphone rear-facing cameras. It is OMNIVISION’s first sensor to feature horizontal/vertical (H/V) quad-phase detection (QPD), which enables users to capture stable images of fast-moving objects.
According to the company, the OV50H offers flagship-level low-light and autofocus performance, supports 12.5MP at 120 frames per second (fps) and high dynamic range (HDR) at 60 fps. The sensor can perform 4‑cell binning, thus enabling a 12.5MP mode for video and preview with 2.4 µm equivalent sensitivity for excellent low-light performance. Moreover, it supports up to 120 fps with 4x low-light sensitivity and 8K video with on-chip remosaic. The sensor offers full 50MP Bayer output and 2x crop zoom functionality.
“The OV50H addresses market demand for superior camera performance in next-generation smartphone designs with larger optical formats,” said Arun Jayaseelan, senior product marketing manager, OMNIVISION. “Consumers continually want image and video quality improvements in their new phones. The OV50H combines high resolution, large pixel size and high dynamic range to deliver premium image preview and 8K video with on-chip remosaic. In addition, it offers the best low-light and autofocus performance in its class.”
The OV50H is a 50MP camera with OMNIVISION’s PureCel Plus-S stacked-die technology for best-in-class image sensor performance. It is the company’s first sensor to offer H/V QPD autofocus technology that calculates distance faster, thus allowing for faster autofocus and enhancing the low-light performance. The camera sensor is a perfect solution to meet the growing demand for high-resolution smartphone cameras with great low-light imaging and fast autofocusing capabilities.
Key Features of the OV50H:
- 4‑cell binning enables 12.5MP mode for video and preview with 2.4 µm equivalent sensitivity for excellent low-light performance; supports up to 120 fps with 4x low-light sensitivity
- 8K video with on-chip remosaic; 4K + EIS at 120 fps linear and 60 fps HDR
DCG™ HDR with on-chip combination and staggered HDR support for flexibility of different HDR modes depending on scene; supports staggered HDR in crop zoom mode
- Capability to achieve 12.5MP at 30 fps HDR with 100+ dB dynamic range when using DCG™ + very short staggered exposure HDR or 3‑exp staggered HDR
- H/V QPD support for best-in-class autofocus
- Full 50MP Bayer output and 2x crop zoom functionality