- Allegro’s new launch provides efficient power conversion in higher frequency switching
- Also facilitates in reducing the overall system size and time to market; ideal for green energy industrial and electric vehicle applications
Allegro MicroSystems has launched the ACS37002 family of advanced Hall-effect current sensors. The sensor has 400kHz sensing bandwidth for up to 180 A with low offset and better accuracy over the automotive temperature range of -40 degrees Celsius to 150 degrees Celsius.
Its high-speed operation allows the ACS37002 to run at higher switching frequencies and have improved efficiencies, thanks to SiC and GaN switching design. The device also employs differential sensing for high immunity to external magnetic field disturbances and is available in three surface-mount package options that optimise either low-noise, high-isolation, or lowest-in-class internal power loss.
The ACS37002 is ideal for demanding green energy industrial and electric vehicle applications, such as:
- Solar power inverters
- On-board charger power-factor correction
- DC/DC converter loop control
- xEV high voltage inverters
A combination of high electrical performance, advanced packaging and factory calibration make the ACS37002 a complete solution for many challenging applications. The plug-and-play feature allows designers to achieve a faster time-to-market in an increasingly competitive green energy and high-efficiency automotive markets.
Simplified fast switching
Faster switching leads to improved efficiency in most power conversion applications, possible with the increasing adoption of SiC and GaN switches. A higher speed current sensor with high accuracy and DC stability allows preferable control of the motor or power converter control loop, thus improving the overall efficiency of the system. By enabling faster switching, the ACS37002 also helps designers to reduce overall system size.
“The 400 kHz bandwidth of this device allows designers to accurately sense these faster switching currents,” said Bob Briano, Product Line Manager at Allegro.
Ease of design and reduced system size
Factory-calibrated with a high degree of integration, the ACS37002 assists designers to reduce the time to market by decreasing design cycle time. The ACS37002 integrates a variety of features, including:
- Fast over-current fault detection function for system reliability
- Reference output for accuracy in noisy environments
- 4 pin-selectable sensitivity settings in a single component, which can reduce inventory part numbers on platform products.
The ACS37002 is available in three different SOICW-16 packages:
- LA package is optimized for higher sensitivity and lower noise;
- MA package provides high isolation of 4.8 kVrms;
- MC package is Allegro’s newest, combining best-in-class conductor resistance of 0.27 µW and highest isolation rating of 5 kVrms for applications where ultra-low power loss and high reinforced isolation are needed.
“There is no longer any need to compromise between speed, accuracy and power density,” said Bob Briano. “This new product family has it all in easy-to-use surface-mount packages. The ACS37002 sets a new standard that design engineers are really going to value.”