- STMicroelectronics’ latest product offering enables IoT node developers to securely connect to Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- All this is possible thanks to the enriching communication features present in the MCU board
To simplify the complex software challenges faced by the developers of IoT nodes, STMicroelectronics has introduced the B-L4S5I-IOT01A STM32 Discovery kit. The kit comes with a FreeRTOS™ port, fully integrated into the STM32Cube ecosystem and ready to connect to Amazon Web Services (AWS).
The hardware comprises of an STM32L4+ microcontroller board that contains a wide variety of ST MEMS sensors, an STSAFE-A110 secure element, Bluetooth 4.2 and Wi-Fi modules and an NFC tag with a printed antenna for flexible, low-power communication with cloud servers. Coming with the X-CUBE-AWS v2.0 STM32Cube Expansion Pack, the kit can be used as a reference design to simplify and accelerate completion of the final product.
Meets performance demands
The STM32L4+ board fulfils the performance demands and energy requirements of IoT nodes. The STM32L4S5VIT6 ultra-low-power Arm Cortex-M4 microcontroller combines 2MB Flash, 640KB RAM, digital and analogue peripherals, and hardware encryption accelerator. The on-board sensors comprise of
- the HTS221 capacitive digital relative humidity and temperature sensor
- LIS3MDL high-performance 3-axis magnetometer
- LSM6DSL 3D accelerometer and 3D gyroscope
- LPS22HB absolute digital output barometer
- VL53L0X Time-of-Flight and gesture-detection sensor
- Two digital omnidirectional microphones
Supports FOTA tasks
The X-CUBE-AWS v2.0 pack ensures proper integration of the FreeRTOS standard AWS connectivity framework within the STM32Cube environment. This allows users to benefit from both FreeRTOS and STM32Cube without developing additional software. It also supports AWS native services including standard Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) tasks and can handle interactions with the onboard STSAFE-A110 secure element, including taking care of AWS IoT Core Multi-Account Registration and assigning security-critical operations during boot-up, device authentication and OTA firmware verification.
The B-L4S5I-IOT01A Discovery kit can be ordered directly from STMicroelectronics or authorised distributors. The X-CUBE-AWS v2.0 STM32Cube Expansion Pack is ready to download free of charge.