- Offers higher performance than traditional Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe) switches
- Provides greater flexibility and scalability for data centre and cloud AI and ML architectures
To support cloud, data centre and hyper-scale computing for the advancements in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML), Microchip Technology has released the Switchtec™ PAX Advanced Fabric Gen 4 PCIe switch family that equips complex topologies with greater scalability, lower latency and higher performance than traditional Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe) switches. Applications include GPU workstations, composable General Purpose GPUs (GP-GPU) fabrics, scalable multi-host systems, SR-IOV-enabled JBOFs, disaggregated systems and rack-scale architectures.
The Switchtec PAX PCIe family of switches provides a turnkey solution and reduces time-to-market for systems requiring multi-host sharing of Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) Non-Volatile Memory (NVMe) Solid State Drives (SSDs), Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) and other PCIe endpoints. The Switchtec PAX devices are a low-power Gen 4 PCIe switches, significantly reducing total system power consumption. Other PAX family of switches features include:
- Advanced error containment
- Comprehensive diagnostics and debug capabilities
- Wide breadth of I/O interfaces
- Integrated MIPS processor
- Secure boot to prevent the execution of unauthorized firmware through public-key cryptography.
The Switchtec PAX family of switches is available in the following variants: 100-lane, 84-lane, 68-lane, 52-lane, 36-lane and 28-lane.