- Enables memory systems to run at peak efficiency with real-time, closed-loop thermal management
- Suitable for DDR5 memory modules and other memory storage applications
Renesas Electronics has launched a new precision temperature sensor, the TS5111 for DDR5 memory modules as well as a host of other applications such as solid-state disks (SSDs), computing motherboards and communications equipment that require accurate, real-time temperature monitoring. The new JEDEC-compliant temperature sensor enables memory modules and other temperature-sensitive systems to run at peak efficiency and reliability with real-time, closed-loop thermal management algorithms.
Accurate temperature sensing
The TS5111 plays a critical role in providing accurate, high-precision system temperatures with programmable alerts that enable systems to implement thermal control loop mechanisms such as memory refresh rates, fan speeds and bandwidth throttling. It supports I²C, SMBUS, as well as the new I3C Basic protocol for data rates up to 12.5 MHz and other advanced features like in-band interrupts, parity check and packet error checks.
“We are proud to deliver the first JEDEC-compliant thermal sensor device for DDR5, which is currently in qualification with our key customers and ecosystem partners,” said Rami Sethi, Vice President, Data Center Business Division at Renesas. “The TS5111 has the potential to coalesce the entire computing industry around a single thermal sensor solution that supports the latest high-speed control bus interface and complies with an industry-standard specification.”
With this launch, the TS5111 joins a complete family of DDR5 solutions that enable the development of DDR5 DIMM solutions.
- Complies with the JEDEC JESD302-1 serial bus thermal sensor device specification
- Temperature sensor accuracy
- Typical 0.5 °C in 75 °C < TA < 95 °C range
- Typical 1.0 °C in 40 °C < TA < 125 °C range
- Typical 2.0 °C in -40 °C < TA < 125 °C range
- Two-wire bus serial interface (I²C and I3C operation modes)
- Up to 12.5 MHz transfer rate
- 1.8 V & 1.1 V power supply input
- Packet error check and parity error check functions
- Bus reset function
- Two unique addresses selected by SA pin
- In-band interrupt
The TS5111 temperature has a form factor of 0.8mm x 1.3mm. The sensor is available now in a 6-ball WLCSP package.