- Enables current protection features and reverse current blocking
- Ideal for notebooks with USB Type-C power delivery ports
Alpha and Omega Semiconductor Limited (AOS), a designer, developer and global supplier of power semiconductors and power ICs, has launched a new Type-C Power Delivery compliant 2-in-1 combo protection switch, the AOZ1380 that has up to 28V absolute maximum voltage rating.
The new device combines a high-performance IC with protection features and state-of-the-art high safe operating area (SOA) MOSFET. It provides true reverse current blocking for applications where protection from exposure to high voltages is required. The AOZ1380 is an ideal solution for the latest notebooks, ultrabooks, Chromebooks and docking stations, with Thunderbolt/USB Type-C power delivery ports.
In the sinking application, two discrete back to back MOSFETs along with resistors and capacitors provide soft start functionality to prevent Type C power adaptor brownout at the plugin. Since a Type C port must also provide power delivery of up to 15W in a notebook application, there’s also a need for a 5V current limited load switch with protection features. Therefore, AOZ1380 provides all this functionality and reduces board footprint by over 50 per cent compared to conventional solutions.
The internal back to back discrete MOSFET that provides the sinking path has a source-to-source resistance of 20mΩ. It has a high SOA in soft start conditions. The ultra-low resistance enables high continuous current of 7A and peak currents of up to 20A, making it an ideal load switch for notebook applications where high peak current capability from the adaptor is needed for CPU or GPU turbo mode events. The AOZ1380 also supports the sinking switch requirements with the fastest response time in the industry for fast role swap events.
“The thinner profile, higher power, and greater flexibility offered by USB Type-C and USB PD 3.0 standards have prompted many computer manufacturers to drop the barrel jack in favour of USB Type-C ports for charging their notebook and ultrabook offerings. The unique combination of AOS’ high SOA MOSFET technology and controller ICs enables system designers to achieve a compact footprint while enhancing the reliability of the Type C port,” said Peter Cheng, Power IC Senior Marketing Director at AOS.
- Operating Range: 3.4V to 22V for sink path and 3.4V to 5.5V for sourcing path
- 28V Absolute Maximum rating at VBUS
- On Resistance: 20mΩ for sink and 39mΩ for source
- 20A peak sink current for 10ms @ 2 per cent duty cycle
- Common protection features: True Reverse Current Blocking, Under-Voltage Lock-Out, Over-Voltage Protection, Thermal Shutdown Protection
- Additional features for sink: Programmable Soft-Start
- Additional features for source: Programmable Over-Current Protection, Fast Role Swap support
The AOZ1380 is now available in production in 3mm x 5.2mm DFN package.