Infineon Technologies AG today launched CIRRENT Cloud ID, a service that automates cloud certificate provisioning and IoT device-to-cloud authentication. The easy-to-use service extends the chain of trust and makes tasks easier and more secure from chip-to-cloud, while lowering companies’ total cost of ownership. Cloud ID is ideal for cloud-connected product companies in the industrial, consumer, healthcare, medical and manufacturing industries.
“IoT product companies have struggled for years to simplify manufacturing, security, and provisioning,” said Rob Conant, Vice President of Software and Ecosystem at Infineon. “Cloud ID builds on Infineon’s strong capability in embedded security, combined with the CIRRENT cloud services, to extend the chain of trust from the chip-to-the-cloud, addressing the manufacturing, security, and provisioning problems in a unique way. We’re helping our customers save money, time and staff while making no compromises on security.”
In the past, companies making IoT devices made tradeoffs between IT complexity and security. They could choose complex and expensive solutions involving the installation of hardware security modules (HSM) in their manufacturing lines and requiring secure IT processes, or they could choose simpler solutions that were easier and less expensive to implement but had substantial security flaws. Infineon’s Cloud ID breaks that paradigm by providing cryptographic security with a cloud-based certificate delivery mechanism and simplifying manufacturing processes.
Cloud ID has multiple advantages over traditional approaches. It:
- Simplifies the manufacturing processes, while maintaining the capability to have individual certificates without complex IT systems and processes
- Provides asymmetric key security that leverage Infineon’s trusted security and the strength of the X.509 certificates without the complex infrastructure
- Comes with automatic provisioning to the cloud. Users can configure a cloud-to-cloud connection and provisioning with a private cloud, public cloud, or AWS IoT Core
- Provides users the ability to monitor, track, and audit registration and provisioning
- Lowers total cost of ownership by replacing NRE and operational costs of an HSM.
Infineon makes the IoT work
Microelectronics make up the core of every IoT solution. Infineon’s sensors, actuators, microcontrollers, communication modules, and security components underpin every device. The company is a one-stop technology partner for realizing smart, energy-efficient, and secure IoT applications with development boards, evaluation kits, and design tools additionally supporting manufacturers.