Alows the possibility to perform real-time processing provides industrial-grade Linux support and security maintenance
To deliver improved AI processing for a wide range of applications, three new 64-bit microprocessors (MPUs): the RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC and RZ/G2UL have been introduced. These provide scalability from entry-level to high-end design.
The new RZ/G2L MPUs are built around the ARM Cortex-A55 CPU core, which delivers approximately 20 per cent improved processing and 6x faster AI application processing. The new MPUs also integrate camera-input interfaces, a 3D graphics engine and a video codec, providing cost-efficient support for sophisticated functionality for human-machine interface (HMI) applications, such as multimedia processing, GUI rendering and AI image processing.
The MPUs also feature the Cortex-M33 core, which makes it possible to perform real-time processing for tasks such as sensor data collection without requiring external microcontrollers (MCUs), reducing the overall system cost.
The RZ/G2L Group features error checking and correction (ECC) protection for both on-chip memory and external DDR memory. Additionally, a Verified Linux Package (VLP) featuring a Civil Infrastructure Platform (CIP) Linux, provides industrial-grade Linux support and security maintenance, reducing future maintenance costs. Support for security functions ensures confident adoption of the RZ/G2L Group MPUs for industrial applications requiring high reliability and extended service life.
Key features of the RZ/G2L Group:
- Cortex-A55 and Cortex-M33 64-bit CPU cores
- RZ/G2L and RZ/G2LC: Cortex-A55 (1.2 GHz) dual- or single-core and Cortex-M33
- RZ/G2UL: Cortex-A55 (1.0 GHz) single-core and Cortex-M33 (optional)
- 3D graphics functions (Arm Mali-G31 GPU) (RZ/G2L and RZ/G2LC)
- Video codec (H.264) (RZ/G2L)
- CAN interface with support for faster CAN FD protocol (RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC, and RZ/G2UL)
- Gigabit Ethernet (2 channels on RZ/G2L and RZ/G2UL, 1 channel on RZ/G2LC)
- Memory error checking and correction (ECC) (RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC, and RZ/G2UL)
- Support for DDR4 and DDR3L external memory interfaces (RZ/G2L, RZ/G2LC, and RZ/G2UL)
- 13 mm square (RZ/G2LC, RZ/G2UL), 15 mm square (RZ/G2L), and 21 mm square (RZ/G2L) BGA packages
Renesas Electronics has begun sample shipments of the new 64-Bit MPUs, with mass production scheduled to commence in August 2021. Additionally, reference designs (circuit diagrams and board layout data) are available starting today.