- The MEMS oscillator by SiTime offers solution for providing low jitter oscillations under tough environmental conditions
- Due to small device size, more features can be integrated
The growth of 5G, AI and cloud computing has subsequently led to a rise of Internet traffic, causing data centres to increase throughput. Optical modules and data communications equipment need to deliver faster data rates. At the same time, 5G infrastructure is subject to environmental disruptions caused by high-temperature, vibration and airflow that can degrade throughput. Thus lower jitter oscillators are required to ensure the same quality of service.
In optical modules, a third of the PCB area gets occupied by the optical sub-assembly, leaving little room for data processing electronics.
SiTime Corporation, a producer of MEMS timing devices, has introduced the SiT9501 differential MEMS oscillator. Offers low jitter, thus solving the issues of environmental disruptions and space availability. Based on the company’s third-generation MEMS technology, the device delivers great performance for 100G – 800G optical modules. Due to a small device size, customers can save up to 50 per cent space for integrating more features and reduce development time. The SiT9501 is ideal for other high-performance applications, including datacentre switches, telecom routers, edge servers, AI/graphics cards and storage controllers.
- Networking frequencies from 25 MHz to 644.53125 MHz
- 70 femtoseconds of RMS phase jitter
- Wide temperature range from -40 degrees Celsius to +105 degrees Celsius
- On-chip voltage regulators to filter power-supply noise, enhancing power integrity for module designs
- Innovative FlexSwing™ driver reduces power consumption by 30 per cent and integrates source-bias LVPECL resistors
“Our third-generation MEMS delivers up to 7 times better phase noise at half the power. The SiT9501 is the first of many products to use this technology and continues our tradition of delivering dramatic performance enhancements in every product generation. In space-constrained applications such as optical modules, the SiT9501 delivers an unmatched combination of higher performance and smaller size,” said Rajesh Vashist, CEO of SiTime.
The SiT9501 oscillator is sampling now in a 2.0 mm x 1.6 mm package (Also available in other industry-standard packages. Production quantities are planned to be available in Q1 2021.