- Built for driving inverters at high speeds, Renesas Electronics’ mobility solution includes BFE, charger, motor control and inverter boards
- The solution meets rising battery management demands for developing high power and torque e-scooters and e-bikes
The solution also uses 15 Renesas ICs, including three key devices: the ISL94216 16-cell battery front end (BFE), HIP2211 100V MOSFET drivers and RX23T 32-bit microcontroller (MCU) for motor control.
Powered from a 25 AHr Li-ion battery, the 48V mobility winning combination solution drives a 1600W inverter to attain speeds up to 5000 rpm.
The 48V mobility winning combination solution includes two boards that address a mobility application’s high battery cell count and power levels. The BFE and charger board focuses on larger, higher voltage battery packs. The motor control and inverter board feature synchronized current/voltage measurements and drivers that are pulse width modulated (PWM) for actuating the motor and monitoring motor status. The algorithm with the hardware is ideal for driving brushless DC (BLDC) motors. Two optional boards are also available: the wireless charging receiver board and the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE 5.0) control board.
For system control, the winning combination solution uses a cost-optimized, energy-efficient RX23T MCU with a built-in floating-point unit (FPU) and six high-performance timers for complex inverter control algorithms, helping engineers reduce time and effort in software/hardware development and debugging.
Unlike other large cell count single-chip battery managers, the highly integrated ISL94216 offers several features that balances and monitors system conditions to improve battery life and safety. The winning combination solution also uses the ISL81601 60V bidirectional 4-switch synchronous buck-boost controller for ultra-fast charging. The controller’s CC/CV charger profile is implemented through the system MCU.
- BFE and charger board
- ISL94216 16-cell BFE supports up to 200 mA+ external cell balancing that enables fast recharging and high utilization in large battery packs with hotplug tolerance of up to 62V.
- BFE provides full high-side, battery protection and monitoring for 4S to 16S cell battery packs
- The RX23T 32-bit MCU with built-in FPU supports full control of the entire system
- Renesas ISL28214 op-amps deliver low power consumption and input bias. The ISL81601 maximizes charging efficiency and uses current sensing and I/O monitoring to adjust input levels
- The ISL84051 multiplexer handles up to eight inputs with low RDSon connop-ampsy and nanosecond switch times
- Motor control and inverter board
- The motor control and inverter board supports a 48V battery pack and can reach up 5000 RPM using a 1600-watt inverter powertrain with motor control sensors
- Motor control and inverter board includes a DC-DC converter, ISL28191 op-amp current sensors, ISL80410 LDO regulator, HIP2211 100V half-bridge MOSFET drivers, and MOSFET bank – connecting to the BFE and charger board
- Optional boards and mobile phone application
- BLE control board with RX23W MCU enables secure mobile phone connectivity via BLE for throttle control, battery status, GPS connection and route history – connecting to the BFE and charger board. This MCU enables monotonic software design
- Wireless charging receiver board features two Renesas wireless receivers used in parallel to boost output as needed – connecting to the BFE and charger board
- Mobile phone application unlocks scooter, controls ON/OFF power and motor start
- Mobility solution sends diagnostic and parametric data to mobile phone’s secure BLE channel in 1-second intervals
“Micromobility options like e-scooters and e-bikes offer an attractive, low-carbon footprint vehicle for first-mile and last-mile travel. Rising demand for these applications is driving new battery management capabilities as cell balancing plays an increasingly critical role in recharging,” said DK Singh, Director, Systems and Solutions Team at Renesas. “Our new 48V mobility winning combination solution combines Renesas’ advanced BFE, industry-leading MCUs, along with analogue and power devices, and innovative motor control technology to help customers speed up the development of their high power and torque e-scooters and e-bikes.”
The new ISL94216 16-cell BFE is available now in a 64-lead QFN package from Renesas’ worldwide distributors.