Suitable for target markets where high frequency and wide bandwidth is required such as 5G, aerospace/defence and satellite communications
Due to advancing technologies, the implementation of mmWave frequencies is being required in nearly every field. However, signals are more susceptible to impairments at such high frequencies, thus affecting the signal quality such as IQ modulation errors, phase noise, distortion, signal-to-noise ratio, amplitude and phase linearity.
So to enable customers to test the performance of millimetre-wave (mmWave) innovations in 5G, aerospace & defence and satellite communications, Keysight Technologies has launched the new N9042B UXA X-Series signal analyser solution. It provides wide analysis bandwidth and deep dynamic range that solves difficult mmWave challenges including tight design margins and timelines, complex modulation and stringent standards.
- Signal clarity with an unbanded, preselected sweep from 2 Hz to 110 GHz and up to 11 GHz of analysis bandwidth.
- True 5G new radio (NR) transmitter performance test with an advanced error vector magnitude (EVM).
- Out-of-band emissions or spurs quickly detected in radar designs with superior swept displayed average noise level (DANL).
- High-throughput satellite communication with 4 GHz of corrected analysis bandwidth.
Cellular and Satellite Communications
Testing 5G components and devices as per the 3GPP 5G New Radio (5G NR) standard Releases 15 and 16 requires a solution with higher accuracy, sensitivity, and bandwidth capability. The N9042B signal analyser tests the true performance of transmitter designs with error vector magnitude (EVM) and 5G NR signal analysis software which perform transmitter downlink and uplink measurements with one-button simplicity.
Today’s satellite communication systems require a sophisticated approach to wideband component characterisation. Customers need to characterise amplifiers and components at bandwidths wider than the target application. The N9042B UXA X-Series signal analyser provides a wide analysis bandwidth and unbanded, preselected frequency range to help customers characterise the performance of their satellite designs.
Test Application Software
To ensure designs meet the latest standards with ready-to-use measurement applications for cellular communication, wireless connectivity and aerospace/defence, the company has integrated PathWave X-Series measurement applications with the UXA X-Series signal analyser. These applications simplify complex tasks and deliver repeatable results. Additionally, the 89600 PathWave Vector Signal Analysis software, a comprehensive set of tools for demodulation and vector signal analysis, offers support for more than 75 signal standards and modulation types, and enables customers to explore every facet of a signal and optimise their most advanced designs.
The N9042B UXA X-Series signal analyser enables customers to reach high levels of measurement accuracy with:
- The V3050A Signal Analyser Frequency Extender delivers unmatched measurement accuracy of wideband signals at very high frequencies. It provides outstanding sensitivity, unbanded and preselected frequency coverage up to 110 GHz, high dynamic range and a seamless interface to the N9042B UXA signal analyser.
- The RCal receiver calibrator corrects system path losses and frequency responses up to 5 GHz IF bandwidth without the need for an external vector network analyser, cabling and manual test-plane characterisation. The palm-sized RCal seamlessly transfers precision factory calibration data to the Keysight X-Series signal analyser over a USB connection, reducing the effort and complexity required to improve measurement accuracy for the test receiver system.
- The VXG microwave signal generator offers high output power with ultra-low phase noise and wide bandwidth for demanding wireless, as well as aerospace and defence applications. The VXG’s dual-channel architecture quickly switches from blocker and interferer tests to dual-channel MIMO and beamforming tests.
“Understanding signal fidelity is critical to the performance of products in 5G, aerospace and defence, satellite and automotive radar markets,” said Kiran Unni, vice president, industrial technologies practice, Frost & Sullivan. “At mmWave frequencies, signals are more susceptible to impairments that affect the signal quality, such as IQ modulation errors, phase noise, distortion, signal-to-noise ratio, amplitude and phase linearity. For designers and manufacturers, addressing these challenges is crucial when characterising and testing the true performance of mmW products.”
“With the increasing demand for data, higher frequency and bandwidth, Keysight’s signal analyser and generator solutions embody our deep expertise in mmW design and measurements, for the latest 5G wireless, radar, aerospace & defence, satellite and communications research,” said Joe Rickert, vice president and general manager of high-frequency measurement R&D for Keysight’s communications solutions group.