Tailored for electric vehicles, commercial transport, and Energy Storage Systems (ESS), the advanced features like distributed temperature monitoring, rapid response, and seamless integration set new standards in battery safety and efficiency.
Littelfuse announces the launch of TTape. This overtemperature detection platform is set to redefine the management of Li-ion battery systems. TTape, with its advanced features and unmatched advantages, aids in effectively managing early cell ageing in-vehicle systems and minimises the hazards linked to thermal runaway events. It is perfectly tailored for diverse uses, including in electric and hybrid electric vehicles, commercial transport, and Energy Storage Systems (ESS). Its distributed temperature monitoring feature is critical in accurately detecting local cell overheating. This not only prolongs battery lifespan but also significantly boosts the safety of battery installations.
It offers several distinctive advantages and features, including:
- Management of Premature Cell Aging: It effectively assists vehicle systems in addressing premature cell ageing, substantially diminishing the risks associated with thermal runaway.
- Prolonged Battery Pack Lifespan: Initiating temperature management at an earlier phase, plays a crucial role in extending the operational life of battery packs.
- Comprehensive Multi-cell Monitoring: A single TTape unit can monitor multiple cells, providing early alerts to the Battery Management System (BMS) in overtemperature situations.
- Rapid Response Time: It has an ultra-fast response, under one second, ensuring prompt notifications during the initial stages of potential thermal runaway conditions.
- Effortless Integration: It does not require calibration and can be seamlessly incorporated into existing BMS setups, making it an ideal choice for various battery applications.
This thin design product is ideal for conformal installations. It is designed with a single MCU input and enhances the detection of localised cell overheating through its distributed temperature monitoring feature. This technology allows for more efficient cooling measures to extend battery life and improve the safety of battery installations. This product introduces a new temperature monitoring solution anticipated by the industry.
Positioned as a transformative product for the Li-ion battery pack market, it focuses on safety and efficiency. As the industry shifts towards more sustainable and safe energy solutions, products like this demonstrate the company’s dedication to innovation and quality. This Distributed Temperature Monitoring Platform is now available in either tape and reel or box packaging, depending on the required length. Samples can be requested through authorised distributors globally.
Tong Kiang Poo, Global Product Manager at Littelfuse, highlighted the differences between TTape and traditional NTCs. TTape offers quicker alerts to the Battery Management System (BMS) due to its ability to detect localized cell overheating more effectively. “The TTape Platform is a distributed temperature monitoring device for battery packs, improving detection without requiring calibration or temperature lookup tables, and needing only one MCU input. It integrates easily with existing BMS solutions, enhancing overheating detection,” Poo explained.