Job Description Summary
This position will be responsible for designing, modeling, analysis, integration and testing of Protection and Control (P&C) systems, with special focus on renewable energy systems, microgrids, and distribution automation. The successful candidate should be capable of design and analysis of protection systems, control systems, power electronics, and system interconnections.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and architect customized P&C solutions (with focus on microgrid offerings) to meet customer requirements
- Perform transient power system studies and distribution systems analysis
- Develop transient and real-time digital models of electric distribution systems including power conversion systems
- Work with other team members to integrate the real-time model with P&C equipment
- Develop test setups & test plans and Perform Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) including Hardware-In-the-Loop (HIL) tests
- Program micro-processor relays, microgrid controllers and PLC using IEC 61131-3 programming standard.
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages (Pythan, C++, etc.) is an asset.
Collect, analyze, and document test results
- Prepare test reports, project reports, and project deliverables (including work process description)
- Participate in development of project proposals, Scope of Work (SOW), and work/effort estimate
- Effectively engage with customers to clarify requirements and present completed work.
- Participate in preparation of technical papers to be presented at conferences and other venues
- Masters or higher degree in Electrical Engineering with specialty in Power System Engineering
- Five (5) years of experience in design, study, and analysis of electric power systems
- Working experience with power system software tools such as PSCAD/EMTDC, EMTP-RV, RSCAD, OPAL-RT, CYMDIST, ASPEN, and CAPE for modeling and impact assessment.
- Knowledge and involvement in power system studies – transient, dynamic, and steady state
- Knowledge of power system phenomena and contingencies in transmission & distribution systems
- Ethical and professional business manner in interaction with team members and customers
Customer focused; open to accept new challenges and share ideas
- Technical skills to execute projects, identify opportunities, and write SOW proposals
- Familiarity with communication system protocols and architectures in electric power industry (DNP3, MODBUS, IEC61850, OpenFMB, etc.)
- Familiarity with transmission, distribution, and smart grid standards (including but not limited to IEEE Std. 2030.5, 2030.7, 2030.8, 1547, etc.)
- Strong communication skills including technical writing and presentations
- Knowledge or field experience with system commissioning and testing