Location: General Electric
Job Description Summary
This role would be responsible for designing , developing and testing Embedded Software (Firmware), platforms and systems that control and runs on devices that need to be tailored to the needs of the hardware that it has to control and run on (i.e. directly controls the real time functions of a physical device such as motors, alternators, engines, valves, fans, and other devices and products). Typically requires a deep understanding of the characteristics of the physical device being controlled, the realtime functions it is expected to perform and the ability to design, develop, implement, and test the logic and software required to realize the realtime functionality. Usually tailored for products and services across various P&Ls. Impacts quality of own work and the work of others on the team.
GE HealthCare is a leading global medical technology and digital solutions innovator. Our purpose is to create a world where healthcare has no limits. Unlock your ambition, turn ideas into world-changing realities, and join an organization where every voice makes a difference, and every difference builds a healthier world.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with systems teams in requirements gathering and control systems’ design
- Realizing/Implementing the shortlisted architecture in firmware
- Testing implemented control strategies on hardware and/or simulation platforms to verify quality of control system realization
- Where necessary, develop tools and procedures to aid in the development process and to minimize dependency on hardware availability
- Interacting with global teams to develop consistent and synergized firmware for control systems across platforms
- Leveraging Agile and Lean software development methodologies to drive reliability upstream into the product development life cycle
- Executes standard operational/technical tasks typically subject to instructions and work routines. There is latitude to rearrange the sequence to complete task/duties based on changing work situations.
- The job role provides the engineer autonomy to make decisions within a defined framework. The candidate is expected to resolve problems in situations that require good domain expertise in embedded software development and sound problem-solving skills and judgment within established procedures. For more complex issues that may exist outside of defined instructions/parameters the engineer is expected to work out strategies in consultation with the larger team.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in Electronics/Electrical/Controls Engineering or equivalent.
- 3 + years experience in embedded control software development for complex systems and architectures.
- Prior experience in MATLAB and Simulink as a programming/simulation language
- Expertise in programming with C language, and the ability to understand and debug down to assembly instructions when necessary.
- Prior experience in designing, implementing and tuning control loops like PI/PID etc
- Good working knowledge of configuration management tools like ClearCase or Git.
- Master’s degree in Electronics/ Control science Engineering or equivalent.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to document, plan, and execute programs.
- Experience in Agile development is desirable.
- Expertise in control system analysis and margin analysis. Nyquist plots, Bode plots, etc.
- Hands on experience in development of FPGA control IPs using Verilog/VHDL is desirable. Expertise in MATLAB and Simulink frameworks including automatic code generation is a bonus.
- Basic knowledge to read and understand analog and digital schematics (MCU/DSP etc).
- Hands on experience in developing FW for controls. Low level debugging of control firmware
- Exposure to Control & FW development in power or motor control domain