As a key member of a multi-discipline team this a great opportunity to experience product development from concept though to production, pooling on a wealth of knowledge anbest practice with a world class metrology company.
Reporting to the Project Leader, this person is responsible & accountable for:
- Deriving the required electronics architecture, performance specification for the overall system from the product functional requirements.
- Following the NPD process to prove out concepts, technology demonstrators thro’ to preproduction & production units including Quality assurance through automated testing.
- Generate the necessary supporting documentation to introduce the product into manufacturing.
- Day to day management of a team comprising a senior (embedded systems) electronics engineer and 2 Mechanical engineers to meet product objectives.
- To lead in Electronics/systems project design reviews.
- Contribute to overall program planning & execution.
- Assist Project leader for risk management.
Required Essential Skills
- Proven track record with hands on product design -embedded systems, modules, and full product architecture.
- Sound knowledge of motor drives and controls.
- Experience of taking transducer signals from conditioning through embedded processing through to graphical display.
- Demonstrable, thorough, analytical skills reinforced with practical problem-solving abilities.
- Experienced in pre-compliance design & testing (EMI, ESD, etc.).
- Experienced in DfX (Design for Reliability, Serviceability & Manufacturability).
- Proven track record for prototyping & transfer to production.
Proficient in the use of the following tools
- Familiar with PCB layout software packages, etc.
- MS Office or similar
- Some experience of managing multi-disciplinary teams.
- Skillsets picked in the precision engineering, machine tool or automation industry.
- Supplier engagement for prototyping / manufacturing.
- Some applied experience with math package e.g MATLAB, Mathematica etc.
- C Programming.
Required Personal Attributes
- A natural interest in technology.
- Track record of taking the initiative and pragmatic decision making.
- Confidence and intelligence, with the ability to mentor more junior engineers, oversee contractors and external suppliers.
- Flexible approach to tasks provided and the ability to investigate problems with an open and enquiring mind.
- Understands why technology people get out of bed in the morning to come to work !
- Good Degree Level education in Electronic/Mechatronic Engineering or equivalent with at least 3 years’ experience in senior design engineer* role from concept through and end to end product lifecycle or a large proportion thereof.
- Sound knowledge with proven track record of manufacturing engineering, test methods, processes, and quality systems.
- Instrumentation/motion control engineering role desirable but not essential
Future Development Opportunities
Coachable with potential to Technical Manager or Senior Architect Lead within <3 years