Suitable for various high-performance applications and functionalities that include communication, military and aviation
Since its inception, the ARINC 818 video protocol has gained wide adoption on aircrafts such as Airbus A350XWB, Boeing 787, KC46A and many others. ARINC 818 protocol provides point to point, high-speed, low-latency video transmission for mission-critical systems such as cockpit display, video processors, cameras and IR sensors. Although offering high-speed, ARINC 818 interfaces in FPGA creates many challenges due to low-latency and synchronous timing requirements for most displays.
To solve this, iWave Systems offers an extensive portfolio of FPGA IP Cores including the ARINC 818 IP, which has been successfully implemented on Microsemi PolarFire FPGA devices. The PolarFire devices offer high security and small form factor at a 50% less power consumption.
- Fully compliant with ARINC 818-2 standards
- Can be used for both transmit and receive applications
- Flexible streaming video interface
- Configurable ADVB video formats(resolution, pixel type, etc.)
- Supports progressive and interlaced video formats
- IP parameters can be configured as per the customer’s
interface control document (ICD)
- Transmission medium – either optical or copper
The ARINC 818-2 compliant PolarFire FPGA evaluation kit is suitable for various high-performance applications and functionalities that include communication, military and aviation.
- FPGA Platform: Microsemi PolarFire FPGA EVK
- FMC card: Multi-video interface Add on FMC card
- HDMI Monitor: To display the video output
The ARINC 818-2 IP transmitter block receives the video data generated by the internal test pattern generator and converts it into ADVB frames. These ADVB frames are sent out through an FPGA transceiver that is connected to the SFP module. These ADVB frames are looped back to the Rx channel via the SFP module, which is then decoded by the ARINC 818-2 IP receiver block to retrieve the video data and is then displayed on the HDMI monitor.
The ARINC 818 protocol has become the effective standard for high-performance military and avionics video systems, allowing customers to realise their ideas into reality with assured strong and unparalleled FPGA design-to-deployment competence.
iWave Systems has also evaluated ARINC 818 IP Core across a wide range of Xilinx and Intel-based evaluation kits.