It reduces power and drive size, while boosting factory productivity by monitoring more configuration and performance parameters
To enable modern smart factories with speed and remote adjustment for minimising factory downtime and maximising throughput, the new PD42-1-1243-IOLINK intelligent actuator helps support an actuator’s electrical characteristics.
It combines a NEMA-17 stepper motor with controller and driver electronics. The PD42-1-1243-IOLINK uses MAX22513 IO-Link transceiver to allow seamless configuring of all modes of the TMC2130-LA motor driver. As a small, low-power NEMA-17 PANdrive solution, the intelligent actuator monitors 50 per cent more configuration and performance parameters to reduce commissioning times as well as improve the quality of predictive maintenance data.
The new chipset solution of TMC2130-LA motor driver and MAX22513 IO-Link transceiver incorporates IO-Link benefits of two-way universal interface. The PD42-1-1243-IOLINK intelligent actuator provides motion control technology in a plug-and-play solution that is 2.6x smaller.
The PD42-1-1243-IOLINK intelligent actuator includes the following chipset:
- MAX22513: The MAX22513 IO-Link transceiver is 3x smaller and has ±1kV/500Ω surge-protected, dual-driver IO-Link transceiver (4.2mm x 2.1mm WLP package). It features high integration with a DC-DC regulator, protection diodes, auxiliary digital input, I2C or SPI control, integrated oscillator and selectable 3.3V or 5V LDO which help to provide high configurability and reduce SKU. It also enables 4x lower power dissipation due to low 2.0Ω (typ) C/Q driver on-resistance.
- TMC2130-LA: The TMC2130-LA motor driver helps detect unwanted mechanical behaviour with no sensors. It provides extremely smooth and precise motion with up to 256x microstepping compared to the 16x industry standard, resulting in accurate positioning and minimised resonance. Key integrated functions include a complete driver stage with low RDSon N-channel power MOSFETs configured as full H-bridges to drive the motor windings up to 1.2A RMS at 5-46V, an SPI interface for configuration and diagnostics, as well as a step-direction interface.
- Increased Productivity: Adjusts more device parameters on-the-fly by providing access to load values and noise reduction parameters using StealthChop technology.
- Lower Power: CoolStep power savings feature of TMC2130-LA, combined with low RDSon N-Channel power MOSFETS of MAX22513 provides best-in-class power savings compared to alternative NEMA-17 IO-Link drives.
- Small Size: PD42-1-1243-IOLINK provides small IO-Link intelligent actuator by eliminating external limit switches to detect hard stop conditions resulting in a solution size of 82cm3
The PD42-1-1243-IOLINK, TMC2130-LA and TMC2130-TA are available at Trinamic’s authorised distributors. The MAX22513AWJ+T is available at Maxim Integrated’s website and also available from authorised distributors.